Sunday, July 30, 2006

BOOKS

Miriam wondered what books I liked when I was a little girl. When I was quite small, we had Little Golden Books.
Here is a little bit about them from the Random House website:

"When Little Golden Books launched in 1942 at 25 cents each, they changed publishing history. For the first time, children's books were high quality and low-priced. They were available to almost all children, not just a privileged few. Little Golden Books were designed to be sturdy (a new concept), delightfully illustrated, and to be sold not only in bookstores, but department stores and other chains (another new concept)"

I remember liking The Taxi that Hurried, The Poky Little Puppy, and The Happy Family.
In The Happy Family, there were a mother and father and a couple of children. There was a pie cooling on the window sill. I've never had a window sill big enough for a pie, but I think it would be fun to have one.

I also remember some books by Munro Leaf. I think he wrote about how to behave politely. I also remember a wonderful story called "Elsie Piddock Skips in her Sleep". It's about a little girl who is wonderful at jumping rope. Both these are still to be found (see Amazon.com).

I enjoyed The Bobbsey Twins, though they may be too old fashioned now. One of my favorite books was Cornelli, Her Childhood by Johanna Spyrie. It was an old book when I first read it. It's about a little girl who goes to live with her aunts and has a hard time until they get to know each other better.

Mrs. Pigglewiggle books were always lots of fun. Mrs. Pigglewiggle knew how to get children to behave. I remember a story about a boy who wouldn't wash his ears, so Mrs. Pigglewiggle planted carrot seeds in the dirt in his ears. When they started to sprout, he learned that he needed to keep his ears clean! The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew is another book I read. I don't remember a lot about it, but I remember that it was good reading.