Monday, February 26, 2007

Mystery Solved

The other day I got a new pincushion. My old one was shaped like a lady bug and I had had it for more than 40 years. It started to leak sawdust a few years ago. I sewed it up, but it kept leaking. Anyway, I don't like lady bugs as much as I used to, now that they have invaded our house and keep turning up dead on windows, floors and counters.
So I bought a new pincushion and began to transfer my pins and needles from the old to the new. In doing so, I solved a mystery that is just as difficult as to find out what happens to the socks that never come back after you wash them.
First I moved all the pins and needles that were sticking through the fabric. But I could still feel little prickly points through the material. So I cut open the old pincushion and started dumping out sawdust. To my surprise, I found about 25 needles inside the pincushion. Pins have heads that keep them from getting pushed inside the pincushion, but needles do not! Now I understand why I've had to buy new needles so often. I always assumed they had gotten lost in the sewing box or fallen on the floor. Instead, I could have found them at any time, hidden inside the pincushion.

So here was another mystery without any bad guys,